COME JOIN THE SSI TEAM!
For more information please contact:
Places like the SSI really allow you to do what you want to do from wherever. If you bring your own money, you have a job.Mike Wolff, Senior Research Scientist at SSI
Because I am not very self-promoting, I tended to accept lower-paying, lower-status jobs. By going independent, I was able to catch up in pay with a position that I deserve.Barb Whitney, Senior Research Scientist at SSI
- Founded in 1992
- 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation
- Headquartered in Boulder, CO
- Sixty employees
- Offsite researchers in 16 states and 3 countries
- Over 100 active grants and contracts
- Nearly $6 million annual revenues
- University of Colorado affiliate
- Experience with large NASA missions
- Home to the Cassini Imaging Science Subsystem Ops team (ISSOPS).
SSI provides full-service management support tailored to the needs of grant recipients. At SSI, scientists can focus their attention on their work while retaining the independence necessary to conduct their programs effectively. SSI provides:
- Strong health, life, vision, dental & disability benefits
- Competitive, federally negotiated overhead rates
- Grants & contracts administration, tracking & accounting
- Proposal budget preparation
- Proposal review and submission assistance
- Payroll processing
- Salary & payroll tax accounting
- Online journal access
- A 403(b) matched retirement program managed by TIAA-CREF
- Experience with NASA, NSF, STScI, DOE, JPL, universities and other organizations
- Online budget & reporting tools for PIs
Soft money researchers are funded through their own grants – at SSI typically through NASA or the National Science Foundation. Researchers are responsible for bringing in their own funds, but with that comes the flexibility to work on what they want and to live where they want. Meanwhile SSI provides business office and financial support so that researchers can focus on what they do best. For more on the soft money lifestyle, see this Nature article.
SSI's headquarters is in Boulder, Colorado, but about 2/3 of our researchers work from their own homes around the country (and a few are even overseas). That gives them the flexibility to live and work where they want, with the added benefit of lower overhead costs. SSI hosts an annual onsite meeting for its researchers, as well as get-togethers at major research conferences.
SSI provides an Affiliate status for researchers who are planning to propose for grants, but need a home institution before they can do so.